Science & research
The research project
The overall objective of this research project is to develop care farming services for persons with dementia that can contribute to long-term solutions of the increasing need for good day care services for a growing elderly population and add sustainable economic value to the agricultural sector. More concrete, this project will investigate experiences and potential benefits of farm based day care services for persons with dementia and their next of kin, study how aspects of agriculture and farm life facilitate a person-centered care environment for persons with dementia, and at last identify factors enabling a successful collaboration between farmers as providers of farm ased day care services and the municipalities.
The project has four part-studies investigating FDC for PWD from different angels:
Part A: Persons with dementia and next of kin
Part B: The farm context
Part C: The farmer and the municipalities
Part C: Communication and information
Norwegian University of Life Science (NMBU), Norwegian National Advisory Unit on Aging and Health (Aging and Health), Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research (NIBIO), Food and Agriculture Division, and Centre for Rural Research (CRR) forms the research group.
The research group cooperate with:
- National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Centre for Nutrition, Prevention and Health Services, The Netherlands, Dr Simone de Bruin. She has done research om FDC for PWD in the Netherlands and will contribute with her experience in WPA and WPB.
- University College Dublin, School of Agriculture and Food Science, Ireland, Deirdre O’Conner. She will collaborate in WPC and contribute with European comparative perspectives.
- Norwegian Health Association and dementia, supervisor Liv Anita Brekke
- Farmers, Kirsti Vitttersø, Vittersø gård in Larvik and Ingunn Sigstad Moen, Lillehov, Løten
- The Norwegian Farmers’ Union, Hege Lindstrøm,head of the Union’s board for care farming
- Centre for Development of Institutional and Home Care Services – Vestfold (USHT-Vestfold), Eva Nyhus
- Matmerk, Marit Strand
- The County Covernor of Vestfold, divison of Agriculture and Food, advisor Lisbeth Haugan
- The Count Covenor of Oslo and Akershus, divion of health, senior advisor Kristin Fragell Lillevold
The Research Council of Norway.